Here is the announcement for International Society for Intellectual History’s conference “Museum Narratives and Representations”, to be held 6-8 October, 2006 at the School of Architecture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Museum Narratives and Representations
The aim of this international conference is to explore the institution of the museum, as well as the concept of the museum in space and time, as:
• a key intellectual device of the Enlightenment,
• a powerful political tool of the modern nation state,
• a rapidly growing industry today
• a complex analytical field.
I. MACHINES OF REPRESENTATION
• Maps, dictionaries, libraries, archives in the history of modernity
• Histories of the museum, histories of exhibiting
• Visualization and representation
II. MUSEUM STUDIES, MUSEUM ARCHITECTURE, CURATING
• The future of museology and museum studies: a social science or a managerial skill?
• Landmark architecture and the new international star-system
• Beyond the “object”, the “building”, and the “context”?
Deadline for panel proposals: 30 November 2005. Deadline for submission of abstracts: 28 February 2006. Admission of papers/Programme: 31 May 2006. Submission of session proposals and abstracts: . Information: . See also http://www.history.upenn.edu/isih/