Curriculum vitae — Thomas Söderqvist
(Emeritus Founding Director of Medical Museion, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen)
– Emeritus Professor in History of Medicine, Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
Education and academic degrees
– M.Sc. (zoology, chemistry, historical geology, mineralogy), University of Stockholm, 1972.
– Ph.D. (theory of science), University of Gothenburg, 1986.
– Dr.phil. (habilitation), Roskilde University, 1998.
Earlier academic positions
– Assistant Professor in Biology, Roskilde University, 1975-1977.
– Associate Professor in Biology, Roskilde University, 1977-1996.
– Associate Professor in Philosophy of Science, Roskilde University, 1996-1997.
– Research Professor in Science Studies, Danish Research Councils, 1997-2002.
– Professor in History of Medicine and Director of Medical Museion, University of Copenhagen, 2002 –
– Director of Science Communication, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2010 – 2013.
– Senior Research Fellow, Danish Council for Research Planning (Planlægningsrådet for Forskningen), 1981-1984.
– Postdoc, Program in History of Science, Stanford University, 1991-1992.
– Research Fellow, Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine at UCL, 2001-2002.
– Research grant, ‘A Biography of Nobel Laurate Niels K. Jerne’ (Swedish Humanities Research Council, 1988-1991).
– Principal Investigator, Research Programme ‘Scientific Biography as a Science Studies Genre’ (Danish Research Councils, 1997-2002).
– Principal Investigator, Research and Curatorial Programme ‘Biomedicine on Display’ (Novo Nordisk Foundation, 2005-2008).
– Principal Investigator, Science Communication Programme, Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research (Novo Nordisk Foundation, 2011-2015).
Committees and Boards of Scientific Societies
– Chairman of Danish National Science Foundation’s Committee for Science Studies (Danmarks Grundforskningsfonds styregruppe for videnskabsforskning), 1994-1995.
– Director of Danish Humanities Research Council’s Network for History and Philosophy of Science (SHF:s netværk for videnskabshistorie og videnskabsfilosofi), 1994-1999.
– Appointed Member of the Danish National Committee for History and Philosophy of Science (Nationalkomiteen for videnskabshistorie og videnskabsfilosofi), 1994-present.
– Appointed member of the Medical Faculty Research Committee, University Copenhagen, 2003-2006
– Elected member of the Council, History of Science Society, 2008-2010; member of Nominating Committee to Council, 2008-2009.
– Member of Board, European Association of Museums for the History of Medical Science, 2009-
– Referee for the Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation (Riksbankens Jubileumsfond), Bergen Research Foundation, Norwegian Research Council, Wellcome Trust History of Medicine Committee, etc.
– Referee for Science in Context, Bulletin for the History of Medicine, Lychnos, University of Chicago Press, etc.
Postgraduate research supervision
– Supervisor of 9 phd-dissertations, 1999-to present
– Director of PhD programme in Medical Science and Technology Studies, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, 2010-
– Lectures and tutorials in history and philosophy of science, Science Programme and Philosophy of Science Programme, Roskilde University, 1975-1997.
Services for the profession
Chair/member of professional evaluation committees:
– Professorship in history of science, UC Berkeley 1996
– Professorship in science studies, Boston University, 1997
– Associate professorship in philosophy, Roskilde University, 1998
– Associate professorship in theory of science, University of Gothenburg, 1998
– Associate professorship in theory of science, University of Gothenburg, 2000
– Professorship in philosophy of medicine, University of Copenhagen, 2001
– Professorship in history of medicine, University of Oslo 2005
– Rausing Professorship in history of science, Uppsala University, 2006
– Associate professorship in history of medicine, University of Oslo 2009
– Professorship in history of medicine, Yale University, 2011.
Chair/member of evaluation committees for 9 phd dissertations in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland, 1991-2006.